When you think about custom cabinetry, you probably imagine a kitchen or bathroom from a home-improvement television show or magazine. But custom cabinetry is not just for upscale homes and it doesn’t have to break the bank. Custom cabinetry is all about giving you what is best for your exact space and needs, without wasting space on features you don’t need or want. It can be a perfect solution for an unusually shaped bathroom or nonstandard kitchen. It also allows you to choose the materials you want, the layout you want, the finish you want and even the hardware you want right from the start.
When you are figuring the cost of custom cabinetry, make sure you consider all the following:
- If you are given a quote based on linear foot cost, make sure you find out how they measure. Not all contractors figure this number the same way, which can lead to confusion.
- What is the charge for removal and disposal of your existing cabinets?
- How much will the new cabinets cost?
- What will labor and the installation process cost?
- Are there other upcharges to factor in, like molding and trim work, finished ends or other additional features?
You will also need to consider what features are important to you. Do you want drawers to store pots and pans? Would you like a built-in spice rack or Lazy Susan? Do you want glass fronts? Do you want to increase accessibility with slide-outs? New custom cabinetry is an investment in the value of your home and the function of your kitchen or bathroom.